Thursday, May 04, 2006

What Anthrax Problem?

Do you ever wonder about what happened with that 2001 anthrax investigation? Every so often I think about it. When I do I know in my gut that something stinks.

OK, I’m not saying I know what really happened in the anthrax-in-the-mail attacks, or that I know all the reasons why the truth is being withheld from the American people. What I am saying is that I sense the Bush administration’s justice department is not telling us the truth -- it surely knows a lot more about who did it, and why, than it is saying.

Coming on the heels of the 9/11's terrifying hijackings/explosions, as it did, the spooky anthrax scare did much to exacerbate the months of national depression that followed. Which allowed the aggressive Bush administration to gobble up power in ways that have proven to be a nightmare since.

Yes, the numb panic following 9/11, plus the anthrax scare, gave us the handy color-coded fear alert and the Patriot Act. It paved the way for the Homeland Security Department and a war in Iraq. Oh yeah, I almost forgot -- huge tax cuts for the wealthy, too. But if you take away that perfectly timed anthrax scare and it may not have played out the same way. Maybe more questions would have been asked.

As it happened, nobody opposed President Bush on much of anything for a couple of years. It was generally considered to be unpatriotic: We were at war, weren’t we? The brave president was doing the best he could, wasn’t he?

Now, three years into the Iraqi quagmire and after Hurricane Katrina, the bumbling Bush/Cheney team is catching a lot of flak. And, for good reason -- this is an arrogant bunch that has gotten nothing right during its five-year run. And, its record for torturing the truth is getting quite galling.

Do you ever think about just how bad it would be for the White House if what’s being covered up about that supposedly bogged down anthrax investigation gets leaked? It seems the national press stopped asking about it a long time ago. Now I wonder why?

How about you?

No comments: