Tuesday, July 19, 2011

GOP's toughest five to defeat

Some Republicans are fascinated with Michele Bachmann’s potential as a presidential candidate. That, while I expect many Democrats would very much like to see her win the GOP’s nomination, because they see her as one of the weakest in the field in a one-on-one match-up with the incumbent.

Of those who have a realistic chance, however small, of being the Republican nominee, I think Bachmann might well be the one who would stand the least chance of defeating Barack Obama.

For various reasons Ron Paul, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Newt Gingrich seem extremely unlikely to win the nomination. Which means they aren't being considered for this list. So, while Huntsman may have the potential to be tough, I don't know what would have to happen for him to get the nomination. And, I doubt anybody can talk Jeb Bush into running.

At this point, the hardest guy for Obama to beat looks to me to be Rick Perry. The next hardest to defeat might be Mitt Romney. After him I’d put Tim Pawlenty, then Chris Christie. To finish ranking the top five, I’m thinking Sarah Palin still has a bigger following than Bachmann.

Therefore, however likely she may be to win her party’s nod next summer, at this point, Bachmann -- with her crazy eyes -- is hardly the nominee Democrats should fear the most.

Did I leave somebody out?

3 comments:

Giovanni Hashimoto said...

Whatever the other similarities, lets just remember that Ronald Reagan was the Governor of California, an absolutely crucial state for any Democratic Presidential Candidate.

Anonymous said...

interesting that again you only take a swipe at the personal appearance of the female candidate, and none of the male. Once again, you prove your sexism - first Palin, then O'Donnell, now Bachmann. I know why liberals hate conservative women so much - its because they make you feel so bad about yourselves.

F.T. Rea said...

Anonymous, sorry, I had a headache, which prevented me from thinking up something appropriate to say about the appearance of the others.