Monday, March 26, 2007

Accidental chloral hydrate overdose

The speculation over what the official autopsy would reveal about the cause of death for Anna Nicole Smith ended today, as reported here by AP.

“Anna Nicole Smith died of an accidental overdose of a sleeping medication and at least eight other prescription drugs, and she had recently had a bacterial infection from injecting drugs into her buttocks, authorities said Monday. Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper said Smith died of ‘combined drug intoxication’ with the sleeping medication chloral hydrate as the major factor.”

The widely respected entertainer/actress, whose philanthropic gestures were the stuff of legends, was just 39 years old when she was found dead in her room at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Florida. And, of course, befitting her statue as a much-accomplished world-beloved figure, her death has spawned an unprecedented level of scrutiny from the press that has continued unabated, even seamlessly, ever since.

“‘...We found nothing to indicate any foul play,’ said Chief Charlie Tiger of the Seminole police department.”

In with the tidal wave of conjecture about the sudden death of Smith -- a versatile actress whose unique ability to breath life into words merely written on paper earned her every possible accolade from her peers, and whose humanitarianism has elicited comparisons to Eleanor Roosevelt -- were assertions that she had died of a drug overdose.

Smith’s legions of fans now can rest easier, perhaps even find some comfort in knowing that her death has been ruled an accident, and that she died, for what it’s worth, from overdosing the same drug -- chloral hydrate and sundry mixers -- as did her idol Marilyn Monroe.

No comments: