Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Goode Grief!

Rep. Virgil Goode has drawn the attention of Virginia’s blogosphere once again. This time it’s not for his scandalous connection to tainted MZM money. Now it seems Goode has gone off on a strange tangent of religious/cultural intolerance that threatens to rival fellow Republican Sen. George Allen’s infamous Macaca Gaffe in its raw potential to make reasonable people on both sides of the aisle shake their heads in bewilderment.

Among Goode’s words in a letter he sent to some number of his 5th Congressional District constituents last week were these:

“When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran...”

Huh?

Two Virginia political blogs are all over this oddball story, so rather than pile on here at SLANTblog I hope the reader will follow the links provided to their posts and the lively discussions they have underway at their blogs. First there is Waldo Jaquith’s post “Goode makes complete ass of self.” Then there is Kenton Ngo’s post “I have no business shoving religion into politics, and neither do you” at his 750 Voltz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i support you on this issue, it is about time someone woke up, i am a republican but on this issue you have my support.