Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Impatience

On July 21, 2016, in his speech accepting the Republican Party's nomination to run for president under its banner, Donald Trump insisted: "Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it."

The delegates listening to Trump's absurd proclamation didn't laugh. They didn't cry out en masse, "Bullshit!" 

No, instead, the audience listening to the freshly minted nominee's speech lapped it up. Likewise, millions of Trump's followers, watching the speech on television took his bombastic declaration to heart.  

With one outrageous sentence, "I alone can fix it," Trump effectively buried the venerable Republican Party, so it could be replaced by the Make America Great Again cult. 

Now, 10 years after Trump's Mussolini-like rant delivered in Cleveland, Ohio, it seems likely that "we, the people," are witnessing the unraveling of Trump's MAGA cult. 

I hope so. 

Why in the world enough American voters bought what Trump was selling that night in Cleveland, to elect him as the 45th president of the USA, should eventually mystify historians. No doubt in my mind, Trump's appeal as a celebrity, a man who lied as easily as he breathed, will not make all that much sense to people reading in 2126 about Trump's tempestuous two terms in the White House.  

However, today, to help out the folks trying to solve the mystery described above, I offer one word: "Impatience."

In 2016, too many Americans were bored. Moreover, they were tired of the same ol' shit. They wanted fresh solutions to their problems and they sure didn't want to wait for those solutions. 

And, I wonder how much the American electorate has changed in the 10 years since Trump promised to "fix the system." 

In 2026, how many Americans are still calling for instant solutions from lying politicians and letting impatience rule their lives, in general? 

-- 30 --

No comments: