Friday, September 25, 2020

McGovern Night at the Biograph

 
This is a handbill I did for a McGovern fundraiser on Sept. 13, 1972, at the Biograph Theatre, a Fan District repertory cinema I managed, 1972-83. I was 24 at that time. By the way, with my McGovern caricature I was deliberately imitating R. Crumb's keep-on-truckin' guy style, trying to appeal to hippies. Shamelessly, I also appropriated Smokey the Bear to help out, too.

Of course I received plenty of advice that it would be a mistake to stage this event, because a movie theater should not take part in politics. Well, for one thing, my bosses in Georgetown totally backed my decision. They were accustomed to linking the Biograph up there with lefty causes. 

Plus, this was only eight months into our operation in the Fan District and most of those who were offering me (helpful?) advice to steer clear of politics still didn't understand how much the new Biograph would be different from Richmond's other cinemas. Time would tell.

Now, 48 years later, looking at this handbill and thinking of how hopeful I was in 1972, I have to chuckle ... and sigh. 

No comments: