Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Forced Reverence


The controversy began with quarterback Colin Kaepernick's quite gesture in 2016. Here we are now three years later and the arguments for and against athletes taking a knee during the playing of the National Anthem haven't changed much. 

When I see threads on Facebook about it the comments are basically the same each time. It's almost like those commenting are reciting them. Frequently that thought reminds me of an odd episode about recitation rituals from my own childhood.

When I was in elementary school there was a start-the-day ritual that was done each day. First the teacher called the roll. Then one student was summonsed to the front of the class to lead in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord's Prayer. We kids took turns.

Like some of my peers, I didn't like doing that job. It made me nervous. But in the second grade I hadn't gotten to the point in my career as a student that I would have protested, or flatly refused to do what was expected.

The Pledge came first. So I faced the flag, as required, and started saying the spiel with my hand over my heart. Except, I was reciting the Lord's Prayer – “Our Father, which art in heaven...”

Naturally, the kids laughed ... a lot. 

Of course, I must have changed gears to say the proper speech, but I don't remember that part. The embarrassment and laughter I remember all too well. Perhaps because I was already somewhat of a class clown type, later on some kids were sure I'd done it on purpose. Which was not true. 
 
At some point I suppose it occurred to me that the Pledge of Allegiance was sort of like a prayer. Anyway, over the years, I have grown to be more uncomfortable with any kind of prayer/chant that is forced onto people. Maybe WWII movies about Nazis have been influencing me. Consequently, it has been a long time since I've put my hand over my heart during the National Anthem at games. 

So my practice is to stand, quietly, hands clapped together in front of me, but I don't sing along. Yes, I've been glared at a few times, but there's never been a scene.

Sometimes I do flash back onto that time in the second grade when I was first made to feel uncomfortable about forced patriotism and/or forced prayer. Still, I have nothing against those who like the National Anthem before games custom. If the they want to salute the flag, that's that's fine with me. It's also OK with me when athletes take a knee during the playing of the anthem. 
 
Forced compliance, with any imposed show of loyalty, is what the optimistic side of me hopes is going out of style. Of course, the same side of me thinks a reverence for the truth is about to become popular.

No comments: