|Point guard Johnny Williams at the Siegel Center.|
Final Score: VCU 77, Dayton 72.
The lede: Trailing Dayton 70-65 with 3:16 remaining, VCU finished the game off with a 12-to-2 run, to advance to the A-10 tournament's quarterfinals.
Box score: Here.
Inside the Scoring:
- Johnny Williams was clutch; just when it mattered most, he hit the go-ahead basket. On 5-of-6 shooting from the field Williams scored 14 points, two of which came on a falling down, left-handed scooping-type shot in front of the basket ... with 58 seconds left in the game.
- Four other Rams scored in double figures led by Justin Tillman's team-high 15 points and 10 rebounds. De'Riante Jenkins and Sean Mobley racked up 11 points, each.
- VCU's bench outscored Dayton's bench, 16-7.
- The Rams had a 12-8 advantage in points off of turnovers.
- VCU committed a season-low seven turnovers in the win.
- After a slow start Tillman went on to get his 17th double-double of the season.
- VCU's all-time record in A-10 tournament action is now 13-4.