Sunday, July 27, 2014

Rescheduled: A Ring Around the Diamond: Sunday, August 3, at 2 p.m.

Last night, on the Facebook event page, it was suggested that I reschedule the event based on the likelihood of rain in the forecast for today. I knew it might be good advice, because some people had probably already changed their plans for Sunday afternoon.

Still, I wasn’t at all happy about doing anything to arrest the splendid momentum the event had gathered in the last four days. It went against the spirit of my the-show-must-go-on background to postpone the thing. So I checked the Weather Channel’s forecast; it gave Richmond a 30 percent chance of rain/scattered showers from 1 p.m. through 5 p.m.

So optimism ruled my thinking and I decided to put off the decision until 10 a.m. today, four hours before the event. Since I started the A Ring Around the Diamond event page on Facebook, I felt like I had to take responsibility for making the best decision I could at the right time; I decided to let the numbers rule:

At 10 a.m. if the Weather Channel gave us at least a 50 percent chance of not having rain at 2 p.m. today, I figured we’d go for it and take our chances. If we had worse than a 50/50 shot, then I determined we should move the date a week forward, the next Sunday when the Squirrels are on the road.

Accordingly, at 10 a.m. this morning Richmond had a 75 percent chance of rain at 2 p.m. and at 3 p.m. As an old promoter that told me we would face a greatly diminished turnout, if went ahead with the original time, even if the weather turned out sunny.

Now I’m praying for rain like a farmer with thirsty crops.

Please note: The A Ring Around the Diamond has been rescheduled. It will unfold on August 3, at 2 p.m. Otherwise it’s the same plan.

Now I’m praying for no hail storms next Sunday.

No comments: