Monday, May 07, 2012

Billy Snead's last words

From Billy Snead's Caring Bridge web site:
Mr. William “Billy” Roland Snead Jr., 76, of Richmond, VA, died May 6, 2012.

Billy is survived by his loving wife of 53 years, Evelyn Casey Snead. He is also survived by his daughters, Sande Snead (Martin Brill), and Mary Ellen Snead (Chuck Irving), and Jill Shimp, and a son-in-law, Kevin Shimp. He leaves behind four adoring grandchildren – Brittany and Nicole Fulk and Casey and Logan Shimp. Billy was preceded in death by his parents, William R. Snead Sr., and Lilly Tiller Snead. Also surviving are his sister, Pat and her husband, Jack Marshall, his brother Brian and his wife Sue Snead, and his sister, Brenda and her husband, Ray Crostic. He will be dearly missed by a host of nieces and nephews and their children as well.

Billy wrote the following.

Billy Speak:
“A life without love is not worth living.”

“There is no second, third or fourth place.”

By far the most important thing in my life was my family. Both the one that brought me here and raised me at Stafford-On-Alley and the one that Ev and I created together in our long marriage. I was blessed with a caring and faithful wife who kept me civil – most of the time. She was my granite. I am also proud of my children and of theirs. I was fortunate to have many close long-term friends. Other credits are minor by comparison, but I will list them anyway:
·      Chosen as the first ever “Sweetheart of the Cinderellas” – A Teejay sorority
·      Promoted to the rank of Corporal in the National Guard – three times
·      Held a certificate of completion in Basic Oxy-acetylene Welding from the Richmond Technical Center
·      Inducted into the Fan District Softball League Hall of Fame
·      Lead “singer” for the “Franklin Art Reparatory Theater (FART)”
·      And seven-time co-chairman of the Egg Toss at 4th of July block parties

I said they were minor.

One of my passions was playing sports, although I was not endowed with size, speed or talent. I played as hard as I could in every game I ever got in. I truly love my city, state and country.
Now, my time on Earth is done. Life here was most fulfilling. I know not where I go from here, but ere now, The Troll has left the building. 
 Special thanks to the entire staff of the Dalton Clinic at Massey Cancer Center, especially the nurses for putting up with Billy. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m., on Thursday, May 10 at Bliley Funeral Home, 3801 Augusta Avenue. The funeral will be at Patterson Avenue Baptist Church, 4301 Patterson Ave., at 11 a.m. on Friday, May 11.
In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society or Hospice of Virginia.

No comments: