Sunday, July 11, 2010

An attaboy from professional haters

Well, one just never knows what might appear on a lazy Sunday afternoon to make one's day. When I got home from Chiocca's, watching Spain outlast Holland to win the World Cup, I found an unexpected email from a friend ... with a link. He expressed surprise to find my name in a rather unusual place.

The link took me to a brief recently filed in a Supreme Court case, Snyder vs. Westboro, to be heard in the fall. At the bottom of Page 4, an article I wrote for Richmond.com is cited. Scroll down past the table of contents and -- voila! -- there it is.

No doubt, if I had known where it would end up being seen, I'd have worked a little harder on the OpEd piece about free speech, to polish it up for the Supremes to read ... or, at least for their clerks to read. (I just noticed a typo in it.) Here's the link to the Richmond.com piece, "How Free Are We to Express Hate?" which was published on June 21, 2010.

Of course, I love it when the people I happily disagree with on almost everything under the sun -- such as the outrageously tasteless demonstrators from the Westboro Baptist Church -- show me they like my work. In this case, getting an attaboy from the Fred W. Phelps hate team has provided me with a supreme grin.

-- Hat-tip to Waldo Jaquith

2 comments:

Shirley Phelps-Roper said...

It's too bad you are compelled to work so hard to distance yourself from the Word of God! This generation hates God's commandments and will NOT have that man Christ Jesus to rule over them. You are so afraid to be aligned with anything close to God that you make a fool of yourself with all your multiplying of words. How sad.

Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

BTW, you should have done your OpEd piece as if you were speaking those words to God! ALL you do should be as if you are doing it unto God, because rebel, you are.

F.T. Rea said...

Thanks for the advice. And, I have a Bible saying for you, Matthew 7:15:

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits."