Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Maynor says he's staying at VCU

According to Mike Harris, Assistant Athletic Director at VCU, Eric Maynor, the Rams' all-conference point guard has decided to stay in school for his senior season. That, instead of declaring for the NBA draft to be held in June.

Maynor averaged 17.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 5.5 assists over his junior season, which was good enough for him to be have been selected as the CAA’s Player of the Year.

“After discussing things with my family, I have decided I want to stay in school,” Maynor said. “I’m honored that people think I have the ability to consider a professional career but it is in my best interests to stay. There is a lot more I want to accomplish here.”

It remains a mystery at this desk why anyone took the rumor seriously that Maynor might leave, to submit his name for the pro draft. As good as he has been over his last two years, he surely needs to play another year of college ball.

And, by the way, he is a good student; Maynor made the CAA's 2007-08 All-Academic team, too.

No comments: