Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Had enough of The Barry?

Watching the Mets beat the Cubs on Sunday night I got to see one of my favorite pitchers, Tom Glavine, win his 300th game. The classy Glavine is one of just five southpaws to win that many games.

During the broadcast one of the announcers mentioned that Glavine had plunked Barry Bonds (negative above right) during the 1987 game which became his first victory. Of course, I enjoyed that tidbit. Barry Bonds is one of my least favorite baseball players of any era.

Since last night Bonds finally hit tater No. 756, to pass Hank Aaron -- who was as consistent and stoic as it gets in his day -- on the career home runs list, maybe there is a chance we will see less of The Barry's literally and figuratively bloated head.

Of course, people will think what they like of the new and unfolding home run record. It is what it is. And, I suspect millions of baseball fans will be happy to see and hear less of the surly Barry Bonds for the rest of this season. After all, he plays on a bad team that is going nowhere.

Disclaimer: By the way, my favorite team is the Atlanta Braves.

2 comments:

Vivian J. Paige said...

I'm no baseball fan but I'm tired of Barry, too. Now can we get on to football? :)

F.T. Rea said...

Vivian,

Speaking of football, I can't remember a season that was a bigger question mark for our Redskins than the one coming on.

Will Washington be 12-4 or 4-12, or what?