Monday, April 24, 2006

The Grace St. Game

Ten years after "Discover the Fan" (see post on April 14th below), upon quitting my longtime job as manager of the Biograph Theatre, my very first sitting at the totally independent cartoonist’s drawing board resulted in a rather dark vision of the West Grace Street neighborhood I knew so well and had just fled. Bad mood? What was up?
(Click on the image to enlarge)
Well, the street itself had recently been switched from one-way traffic to two-way. That was an extremely unusual thing to do, city planning-wise, and a big mistake, in my book. Yes, I still think it was a goof. And, it seemed to me then that local popular culture, in general, had hitched a ride in the absolute wrong direction, too. Disco, Heavy Metal or Hardcore? That was suddenly the choice.

Ah, times were changing and I had moved on, or so I thought. Perhaps, in truth, I was sitting still while all else moved on.

No comments: