Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Fool for Love

The following notice came in today from a friend who is among other things a radio personality, standup comic, and hail-fellow-well-met -- John Porter:

I would like to bring you up to speed on my latest project, appearing in a production of Sam Shepard's "Fool For Love" at Theatre VCU. The last time I appeared live on a VCU stage was way back in 1979 of 80 in a production of "Dainty Shapes and Hairy Apes" by Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz. I did do one more show there before graduation, "Becket" by Jean Anouilh, but that was performed in the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. And for you completists who are keeping score, I was the voice of Abraham Lincoln in last year's production of "The Civil War" and was immediately ostracized by the more southern members of my family.

"Fool For Love" is a great play and you will have a great time. I guarantee it, or I'll gladly refund your ticket price. Did I mention that it's FREE? That's right amigo, you won't even spend one thin dime for this show!

Showtime is at 8:00 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (we are on the bill with two other short plays. Fool For Love will start about 9:00 p.m. and run about an hour.) The plays are being presented in the Richard Newdick Theatre (Shafer Street Playhouse if you went to VCU prior to the 1990's). If you want to have a good evening and watch some fun short plays, come early. If you just want to come and see our efforts, come at nine. Either way you're in for a great time.

***Theatre Professionals Keep Reading*** The director of the show, David Patton, is a rising talent. If you have been lucky enough to see his previous work, Sarah Laughed, then you will be pleasantly surprised at his approach to Shepard's world. It's been my pleasure to watch David as a teacher and director, and encourage you to check out his work with an eye to how he can help your theatre in the future.

***Everybody, Come Back Together Now*** I hope to see you all there. No need for reservations, just show up and be ready to watch the show. Oh yeah, if you're expecting me to play the lead's fat funny best friend – it ain't happening. But you'll have a great time anyway. If you need more information or directions, or just want to chat, give me a call at 319-6335.

No comments: