My own alphabetical list of the five Fan District eateries for which I'm still carrying a torch is as follows:
- Grace Place at 826 W. Grace St.
- John & Norman’s at 2525 Hanover Ave.
- J.W. Rayle at Cary and Pine Sts.
- Mad King Ludwig’s at 907 W. Grace St.
- The Texas-Wisconsin Border Cafe at 1501 W. Main St.
Readers are invited to use the comments section to suggest other Fan District restaurants that should be added to our list of the favorite-but-no-longer-existing. Two other fond favorites were suggested to me in a subsequent conversation -- the original Village Restaurant; the Chesterfield Tea Room.