Monday, July 07, 2008

Webb: No to Veep

webb066.jpg

The following message, a statement from Sen. Jim Webb, came in today from Jessica Smith with the senator’s office. With it Webb seems to put to rest any further speculation about his desire to run for vice president this year:

Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country. Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President.

A year and a half ago, the people of Virginia honored me with election to the U.S. Senate. I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America’s national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability. I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate.

In this regard, the bipartisan legislative template we were able to put into effect through 18 months of work in order to enact the new, landmark GI Bill will serve as a prototype for my future endeavors in government. This process, wherein we brought 58 Senators from both parties to the table as co-sponsors, along with more than 300 members of the House, gives me renewed confidence that the Congress can indeed work effectively across party lines and address the concerns of our citizens.

At this time I am also renewing my commitment to work hard to make sure that Senator Obama wins both Virginia and the presidency this November. He is a man who speaks eloquently about our national goals and calls for the practical solutions that must be put into place to obtain them. I will proudly campaign for him.

Let’s hope this statement is believed and those pushing for Webb to be on the ticket will calm down and support what their man has said he wants to do. Unlike so many politicians, sincerity is his strong suit.

Dig it: Jim Webb is doing a fine job as Virginia’s junior senator. His best campaign moves this year will be made on the stump campaigning for other Democrats.

– Comments and photo by F.T. Rea

No comments: