Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mark Warner's decision

Not unlike many in Virginia and elsewhere I am disappointed that Mark Warner has decided to drop out of the 2008 presidential race's field of active candidates:

"...So about a month ago, I told my family and people who know me best that I would make a final decision after Columbus Day weekend, which I was spending with my family. After 67 trips to 28 states and five foreign countries, I have made that decision.

"I have decided not to run for President.


"This past weekend, my family and I went to Connecticut to celebrate my Dad’s 81st birthday, and then we took my oldest daughter Madison to start looking at colleges. I know these moments are never going to come again. This weekend made clear what I’d been thinking about for many weeks -- that while politically this appears to be the right time for me to take the plunge -- at this point, I want to have a real life. And while the chance may never come again, I shouldn’t move forward unless I’m willing to put everything else in my life on the back burner.


"This has been a difficult decision, but for me, it’s the right decision."

Click
here to read Warner's entire statement:

Update: In “Warner nixes 2008 bid,” the Richmond Times-Dispatch’s political writer Jeff E. Schapiro reports:

“...Kaine said he had been discussing the decision with Warner for the past five or six months. Kaine said he understood Warner’s decision but added that his predecessor would have made a formidable candidate. “I’m disappointed for the party and for the country because he would be absolutely fantastic,’ Kaine said.

"Warner, during his morning news conference, signaled in written remarks that he will continue to be involved in national politics.”

Note: Just think of how many self-appointed experts, of any political persuasion, told you it was absolutely a lock that Mark Warner was running for president. Now, how many of those same “experts” will admit they were simply wrong not to have taken Warner at his word, when he said he was exploring a run but hadn’t made up his mind, yet?
Photo: SLANT

3 comments:

Jackson Landers said...

Mark Warner was in fact running for President. What else do you think that all that fundraising and those trips to Iowa and NH were all about? None of those pundits were wrong.

Warner was running and then he dropped out today.

Triscula said...

Damn. I'm really disappointed that he's decided not to run. I think he would have been a really good candidate.

F.T. Rea said...

jack landers,

It seems your definition of “running for president” is different than mine. In my view “running” and “exploring a run” are not the same thing. Of course Warner was seriously considering running for president in 2008. Now he has pushed that consideration off the table.

My point was that many smug observers talked/wrote as if Warner’s many activities in 2006 were sure signs that he would throw his hat into the ring. Well, they were wrong.

Maybe Mark Warner decided he couldn’t get the nomination. Maybe not. Maybe his wife, Lisa Collis, hates the spotlight so much he deferred to her wishes. Maybe he got a tip that Sen. John Warner isn’t going to run for reelection in 2008. Maybe the former governor of Virginia wants to run for governor in 2009. Or, just maybe his statement was the truth.

Triscula,

In my book, Mark Warner would make an excellent president. While his skills as a candidate have been underestimated before, whether he would have made a good national candidate is debatable. In any event, I doubt we’ve heard the last of him.