Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Kaine: How I Won

Gov. Tim Kaine must have gotten tired of reading what the pundits had to say about how and why he defeated Jerry Kilgore in November, when they kept getting it wrong. So, to put the record straight Kaine has penned his own analysis of the Kaine camp's smart moves, How I Won. Here's an excerpt:

"...For starters, I ran in a state that President Bush had won by 8 percentage points in 2004. In addition, I began with a 21-point name identification deficit and lagged behind in every poll -- sometimes by double digits -- until September 2005, only two months before the election. Finally, I was targeted by an unprecedented series of negative attack ads and was financially out-raised and outspent through most of the contest. Yet I won the popular vote by a margin of 6 points and more than 113,000 voters. I attribute my victory to three factors: the exceptional popularity of Gov. Mark Warner, my predecessor and partner over the past four years; my campaign's understanding of Virginia's changing demographics; and my ability to speak directly to voters and offer them a positive vision for our future."

1 comment:

Triscula said...

" and my ability to speak directly to voters and offer them a positive vision for our future."

Boy, do I wish that other Democrats, especially at the federal level, would catch on to THAT particular part of the formula. It's crucial, in my opinion.