Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Obama: This is our moment

Barack Obama has won in Virginia. That his victory tonight comes during Black History Month must be satisfying to some who can remember when that would not have been possible. Moreover, that Obama’s only opponent for the Democratic presidential nomination is a woman also testifies to how much times have changed.

Truth be told, Obama is changing the political landscape. He is in the process of changing what is possible in Virginia and across the nation. His appeal to the young is obvious. But it’s his appeal to the young at heart that may be what gets him the nomination.

There are a lot of people in their 50s and 60s who can remember inspirational political leaders who were uplifting. Obama is reaching out to a broader audience every day. The Obama bandwagon is picking up steam, because more and more everyday people of all ages are hearing Obama’s sincere and eloquent call for change.

Because I played organized sports growing up and then as an adult, into my 40s -- Frisbee-golf is all that’s left of my “career” -- a lot of my friends and associates are jocks. And, in Richmond that means most of those guys are conservative in their politics. Usually they vote Republican.

To a man, they can’t stand Hillary Clinton. Whether they ought to feel that way isn’t the issue. They do. And, let’s face it, she is toting a lot of baggage. Every time I hear her tout her “35 years of experience,” it makes me think she’s helping Obama with that more than she knows.

However, several of those graying jocks I talk sports and politics with at happy hour are somewhat disillusioned with today’s GOP, in general, and George Bush, in particular. A few of them are quite intrigued with Obama’s campaign. They ask me about him, what I know about his record.

Those conservative-leaning old goats are feeling the same vibe that is getting more intense with each week of the 2008 presidential campaign. They can see Obama is noticeably different from the typical politician in either party.

Instead of continuously attacking his opponents with negatives, Obama says he’s a “hope monger.”

Tonight, basking in the glow of three more victories, Obama said what so may Americans now hope is true, “This is our moment.”

-- Words and art by F.T. Rea

1 comment:

The Jotter said...

It is all pretty amazing, isn't it? I almost passed out at the polls today. Looking at those names was awe-inspiring.

I happen to think it very important that a woman is running for president. I have been sickened by the misogynistic crap that has floated up during her candidacy, hiding behind weak political rhetoric. And don't get me started on the racist venom coming out against Obama.

At the same time I say, "I will not let it bring me down." In the words of Nina Simone, "It's a new dawn. It's a new day.It's a new life for me... and I'm feeling good."

Been out of the loop for awhile. Good to read you again.