Thursday, January 12, 2017

Five Favorite Folk Songs

What constitutes a “folk song” can be debated forever. So let's not. For this harmless exercise I'm working from a particular list of 100 songs, one according to Folk Alley's listeners. See that list here. And, yes, it seems lacking in traditional folk songs, but we've moving on, anyway.

In choosing my five, I added credit to songs that have been recorded by artists other than the original. Songs we've heard sung by various people. So this list is mostly about songs, not just one rendition of a song. As with all my five favorites lists I'm picking what they are today, off the top of my head, and listing them alphabetically. Tomorrow's list could be different. Next week's list surely would be.

Anyway, my five favorites from this list of 100 titles are (I've linked the titles to a good version of the songs on YouTube):
What are your five favorites?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm,
1. Wise County Jail - Dock Boggs
2. Worried Man Blues - the Carter Family
3. The Other Side of This Life - Fred Neil
4. This Land is Your Land - Woody Guthrie
5. Blowin' in the Wind - Peter, Paul & Mary