Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Frederick, a fool for all seasons?

April Fool? Sure, there are plenty of candidates for this year's most obvious fool on the Virginia political landscape.
But from where I sit one face stands out as the Commonwealth's April Fool poster-boy of 2009: Jeffrey Frederick, the current chairman of the Virginia Republican Party.

Not in looks, but in attitude, Frederick reminds me a little bit of Sen. William Scott, Virginia's outrageously fool-like, one-term senator in the 1970s. The day before Nixon resigned in 1974, Scott sought out reporters to tell them he knew, from inside info, that Nixon would not cave in to the pressure and resign.

With Scott (1915-97) long gone, who better than Jeff "What, Me Worry?" Frederick, who appears quite prepared to be a fool for all seasons? At least, until the wise heads in the GOP make him go away.

On April Fools' Day, of all days, with this post, perhaps SLANTblog has set a new record for bipartisan agreement under its masthead.

-- Caricature by F.T. Rea

3 comments:

James Young said...

Interesting. You only consider the heads of the GOP "wise" when they're: (a) acting like Democrats; or (b) eating their own.

F.T. Rea said...

James Young, yes, it amuses me to see the GOP in Virginia struggling as it is, because I see all this as chickens coming home to roost. But I still hope the process will eventually make the party faithful listen to their better angels.

In the long run, I don't want the Republican Party to be run by fools the likes of Frederick.

On top of that I'm a John Hager fan. Didn't like how he was treated.

James Young said...

I like John, too. Known him for 20 years. Worked the polls together when we were both on the ballot in 1997.

But the way that the 2008 Convention was run changed my vote, which I had intended to cast for him. The incompetence displayed was both uncharacteristic, and staggering. I know he lost votes in NoVA based upon the utter lack of planning to deal with our large delegations. Mine and my wife's were two of them. I suspect that he was ill-served by his staff, but that, too, is a function of leadership.